Ah, camping. The fond memories of dirt, showers that charge $0.50 for two minutes of (sometimes) hot water, and who can forget: the food! Particularly the food that seems to be synonymous with camping, the s'more. I had fun burning the marshmallows and all, but frankly, I found them messy, unwieldy, and just kind of a pain. Well, pain no more! I have combined the best of the s'more world with all that is wonderful about rice crispy treats. I mean come on, a rice crispy treat is 1/3 of the way to becoming a s'more, right? Here is a recipe that is easy to prep before leaving on a camping trip, travels well, and if you have little ones, gives them all the s'more flavor, without the fire hazard.
S'more Crispy Rice Treats
- 1 package (9 sheets) graham crackers
- 1 bag (10 oz.) mini marshmallows, divided
- 12 oz. semi-sweet or milk chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 cups rice crispies cereal
- Line a 9x13 in pan with parchment paper, or spray with non-stick cooking spray, set aside.
- Crush the graham crackers into fairly small crumbs, some larger pieces are ok (I just did it right in the bag they were in, why dirty another bag or bowl?).
- Mix the cereal and crushed graham crackers in a large bowl, as well as 1 cup of the marshmallows.
- Place all the remaining marshmallows and the butter in a large microwave safe bowl, and heat in 30 second increments, stirring in between, until the marshmallows are completely melted and the butter is incorporated.
- Pour the marshmallow mixture into the cereal and graham cracker mix, and stir until well combined.
- Pour into the prepared pan and press into the pan to form an even layer. Spraying a spatula with non-stick cooking spray may help in spreading if it is sticking.
- Place chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl and heat in 30 second increments, stirring in between, until completely melted.
- Pour chocolate over the cereal mixture and smooth out over the entire pan.
- Let them set up in the fridge or on the counter until the chocolate and marshmallows are set.
- Cut into squares and enjoy!