Thursday, August 23, 2012

Hearty Crock Pot Chicken Noodle Soup

Pin It Now!

Nothing is more comforting then a hot bowl of homemade chicken noodle soup.  The only thing better is being able to throwing all the ingredients in the crock pot and having a delicious soup ready for dinner with no work.  This chicken noodle soup is choc full of veggies, chicken, and noodles, for hardly any calories per serving.  It is a great fill you up without filling you out meal.  It is a wonderful, simple, hearty soup.

Bonus:  It is one more way to use up the abundance of zucchini everyone seems to have laying around.

IF YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE, PLEASE DON'T FORGET TO PIN IT :)

Hearty Crock Pot Chicken Noodle Soup

Makes approximately 8-10, 8 oz. servings (about 1 cup)

Ingredients:
  • 20 oz. frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • 1-1 lb. bag baby carrots
  • 3 medium zucchini
  • 3 large ribs of celery
  • 1 medium yellow onion
  • 4 oz. dried shaped pasta (I used shells)
  • 2 tsp dried oregano
  • 2 tsp dried basil
  • 1 tsp garlic salt
  • 1-2 tsp salt, to taste
  • 8 cups water or chicken broth or veggie broth
Directions:
  1. Chop the baby carrots into thirds, or just dice into smaller chunks.  Chop celery ribs into pieces similar to the carrots size, and do the same for the onion.  Cut the zucchini length wise in half and then cut half moon slices.
  2. Place all ingredients into the crock pot, except the salt and the dried pasta (the salt can be added at the end and adjusted to taste), and place on high for 6 hours.
  3. 30 minutes before you want to serve, remove the chicken, shred using two forks, and return to crock pot.  Pour in the dried pasta and let cook until desired tenderness is reached.
  4. Adjust the salt to taste and serve.

18 comments:

  1. I agree! There is nothing quite like a hearty bowl of homemade chicken noodle soup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Specially when it is cold outside! Come on winter!

      Delete
  2. I love soups in the Crockpot, this is such a great take on a classic. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm stopping by for a visit today from Six Sisters' Stuff!
    There are so many creative participants in this linky party. I'm on overload pinning, following and bookmarking.
    This recipe will be great when the temps start cooling down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely when it is cooler. Thanks so much for coming on over, great to see you!

      Delete
  4. This sounds so good! I've never tried making a homemade soup but I think this will be my first when the weather cools down! Pinning :)

    Thanks for sharing this at Mom's Test Meal Mondays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for pinning! It is super easy, you will do great!

      Delete
  5. I love chicken noodle soup. I never thought to put it in the crockpot. thanks! pinning to remember
    I would love to have you link this up to my linky party! http://domesticrandomness.blogspot.com/2012/08/friday-fascinations-3-everything-linky.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for pinning, and thanks for the invite! Wonderful to see you here.

      Delete
  6. Mmmm, comfort food:) I love this recipe. Thanks so much for posting on Naptime Creations link party!

    Katie
    www.funhomethings.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is definitely one of my top comfort foods, so many memories of making it. One big bowl of comfort! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. Gets me in the mood for fall!! Thanks for linking up to Tasty Thursdays on The Mandatory Mooch. I hope you will link up again this week. The party will be live tomorrow night. www.mandatorymooch.blogspot.com

    Thanks, Nichi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for stopping by and visiting, great to see you here again!

      Delete
  8. This recipe looks great! Can it be done on low in the crockpot? I work from 8am-4-pm, so I'm afraid 8 hours on high would burn it or make it too mushy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. I am just impatient, so I do everything on high lol. I think doing it on low would be great, and when you get home, throw in the noodles, and cook on high until the noodles are to your liking. That would keep them from getting too soggy.

      Delete
    2. thanks so much! i appreciate your quick response :) i'm on my way to the grocery store now to get the ingredients!

      Delete
  9. Hi I love this soup but I noticed when you store it for left overs it seems like the pasta absorbs all the liquid. Could I cook the pasta separately then add it to the soup? If I do it this way should I add less liquid? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...