Thursday, August 16, 2012

Baked Maple Glazed Yeast Donuts

Pin It Now!

FYI:  I HAVE A BETTER BAKED DONUT RECIPE HERE


Mmmmm donuts!  I love the taste of donuts.  I hate the way I feel after I eat them.  Too much grease I guess.  I really wanted to try doing yeast raised donuts at home, but just couldn't stomach the thought of frying them, at least not until I tried out baked donuts to see if they come close enough to satisfy my donut cravings.  Baked donuts that taste like Krispy Kreme donuts.  That is the mecca of donut happiness and one of my many baking missions.  As such, I am sure there will be many donut posts along the way as I do my research.  

These baked donuts from Mel's Kitchen Cafe are pretty easy, and they taste pretty darn good for being baked.  I will put the disclaimer out there though that these are NOT going to be like fried donuts.  They just aren't.  They are more like a donut-like roll.  My favorite part of a donut is the the maple glaze, so for me, they were an excellent carrier for my maple glaze recipe.  Anyways, I think they are worth it to not have the yucky, greasy feeling after eating them, and to not have to heat up oil makes them very appealing.  Just saying though, you have been warned.

Obviously you can do many things to top these donuts, like I said earlier, I am partial to maple glazed donuts so that is what I did.  You can also roll them in cinnamon-sugar, coat them in a vanilla glaze, top them with glaze and sprinkles...lots of options.  Here is one way.

Baked Doughnuts
(Donut dough recipe from Mel's Kitchen Cafe)
 

*Note: These little beauties are best made and eaten the same day, preferably warm right from the oven. The great news is that you can make the dough, roll and cut out the doughnuts the night before and let them do their second rising in the fridge, covered. Remove them from the refrigerator and put them on the counter about an hour before baking. I used instant yeast in the recipe. If you only have active dry yeast on hand, proof the yeast with 1/3 cup of the warm milk and the sugar until it is foaming before adding in the rest of the milk and proceeding with the recipe.

*Makes about 1 1/2 dozen doughnuts/doughnut holes

INGREDIENTS:

Doughnuts:

1 1/3 cups warm milk, 95 to 105 degrees (I used soymilk, so sub as needed)
2 teaspoons instant yeast
2 tablespoons butter
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
5 cups all-purpose flour
A pinch or two of nutmeg, freshly grated (optional, leave out if doing a flavored glaze if you don't want   competing flavors)
1 teaspoon salt

Topping:


Maple Glaze:

3 Tbs. butter
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 half and half (I used 2% evaporated milk, worked great)
1 Tbs. real maple syrup
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar


DIRECTIONS:
Donuts before second rising
  1. Place the warm milk in the bowl of an electric mixer. Stir in the yeast and sugar. Add the butter. Mix the eggs, flour, nutmeg (optional), and salt. Beat the dough with the dough hook attachment (or with a wooden spoon and eventually your hands) for 2-3 minutes at medium speed. Adjust the dough texture by adding flour a few tablespoons at a time or more milk. The dough should pull away from the sides of the bowl and be very soft and smooth but still slightly sticky – don’t over flour! Knead the dough for a few minutes (again, by mixer or by hand) and then transfer the dough to a lightly greased bowl. Cover the bowl and let the dough rise for about an hour or until it has doubled in size (the exact time will depend on the temperature of your kitchen). 
  2. If you don't have a mixer, this can be done by hand.  Mix all ingredients thoroughly and knead for 5 minutes by hand.
  3. Punch down the dough and roll it out to about 1/2-inch thickness on a lightly floured counter. Using a doughnut cutter or a 2-3 inch circle cookie cutter, cut out circles in the dough (I used a 3 inch cutter and a 1 inch cutter). Carefully transfer the circles to a parchment- or silpat-lined baking sheet and stamp out the smaller inner circles using a smaller cutter. Be sure to make the holes large enough that as the doughnuts rise again and bake, they don’t fill in the doughnut hole with the puffiness of the dough. Cover the tray with lightly greased plastic wrap. (At this point, you can refrigerate the doughnuts overnight or proceed with the recipe.) Let the doughnuts rise for about another 45 minutes, until they are puffed and nearly doubled. 
  4. Bake in a 375 degree F oven until the bottoms are just golden, 8 to 10 minutes. Start checking the doughnuts around minute 8. They should still be pale on top, not golden and browned, and just barely baked through.
  5. Maple Glaze: In a medium sauce pan combine the brown sugar and butter and bring to a boil.  Add maple syrup and cook over medium heat for 1 minute until slightly thickened, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.  Add cream slowly and mix until smooth.  Add powdered sugar and stir until powdered sugar is dissolved and glaze is smooth.  Dip donuts immediately while it is still warm and runny.  If it sets up, heat it again on low heat until it is spreadable. 
  6. Remove the doughnuts from the oven and let cool for 1-2 minutes. Dip each one in the maple glaze or sprinkle with the cinnamon and sugar. Serve immediately.

25 comments:

  1. yeast doughnuts are the best! I am loving that maple glaze! Yum! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could eat the glaze by the spoonful....so dangerous.

      Delete
  2. These look great! I love maple glaze on my donuts. Thanks for linking up to Foodier Friends Friday party.

    Robyn from Robyn's View

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I never heard of baking doughnuts! I can't wait to try these! Thansk for sharing found you via Foodie Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMGosh those look GOOD! Make ya slap yo mommma good!
    Thanks for linking up with us over at Foodie Friends Friday link party. Remember to come back and vote on Sunday.
    Dawn from http://spatulasonparade.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't made donuts for years and these sound marvelous. I think they may taste just like Tim Horton Maple glazed donuts (from Canada). I like that they are baked and not fried. Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday and remember to come back and vote on Sunday.
    http://marlys-thisandthat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can not wait to try these! Love donuts warm out of the fryer or oven but I do like that these are baked! My kids will think it's a holiday when I surprise them with these. Thanks for sharing. Oh, I found you over at Foodie Friends Friday link party.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG these look so good. They remind me of Krispy Kreme...our fave! I just got a doughnut pan, and I can't wait to try them. Thanks for sharing at Church Supper. Have a blessed week & come back soon ~EMM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! They aren't quite like Krispy Kreme, not as melt in your mouth fluffy, but the glaze taste like them. Let me know if you try them, and thanks for stopping by. Hope you will join my link party today too. Beauty of these is you don't even need a donut pan!

      Delete
  8. Oh my gosh. I want to eat all of these right now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look absolutely fabulous, I love that they're baked (so my home doesn't smell of frying oil) and glazed with maple (my favorite!) yum!

    Mal @ The Chic Geek

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally understand, I hate the smell of frying oil, it permeates the house and takes so long to go away.

      Delete
  10. Wow! Those look fantastic! My husband would gobble them all up! Thanks for sharing. Come visit us this week. We have a lot of tasty treats and a great antiques post today.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow do those look tasty. My husband would love this recipe. Thanks for sharing. Come and visit us today. We have some tasty treats this week and a wonderful antiques post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my, I had to pin these! They look absolutely delish, and I really like the fact that they are BAKED! Found you via This Gal Cooks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. These look yummy! Thanks for linking up for Friday Favorites! I'm featuring you again this week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These donuts are lovely. I should try this recipe one day. Maple glazed donuts are so delicious but homemade is always better! :) Thanks for sharing on Marvelous Mondays. Please note, my new web address is www.thisgalcooks.com Same blog, different name. :)

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  15. These sound GOOD. I have never tried making yeasted doughnuts, but now I want too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh wow. Yeast doughnuts sound all kinds of fabulous. Thanks so much for linking up last week to Mop It Up Mondays. Featuring you tomorrow night at the party.

    {HUGS},
    kristi

    ReplyDelete
  17. These look delicious. I want to lick the screen. Thanks so much for sharing at Tasty Thursdays on The Mandatory Mooch. I hope you will link up again. The party will be live with features tomorrow night. www.mandatorymooch.blogspot.com

    Thanks, Nichi

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks delicious! I’m always looking for ways to use up leftover maple syrup.

    Zia
    Heard about Landscaping Olympia WA site info

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...