I hate oatmeal. Like the mushy, soupy, texture like its already been chewed kind of oatmeal. So when I was told I needed to eat oatmeal to help with nursing my 10 month old, I had to find a more palatable way to ingest it. So here it is. Chewy, crisp, airy oatmeal cookies. This is an oatmeal bandwagon I can be all over :) I got this recipe from my favorite guilty pleasure, King Arthur Flour. I modified the Oatmeal Cookie recipe just a tad to up the oatmeal factor, and the health factor (these tasty morsels only have 64 calories each!)
- 1/2 cup (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cider or white vinegar (put it in, you won't be sorry)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 Oat Bran (I got mine from Trader Joe's)
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats, quick cooking or old-fashioned
- 1 cup golden raisins, optional (I don't do raisins, but feel free. Chocolate chips are good too)
1) Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease (or line with parchment) two baking sheets, light-colored preferred.
2) Beat together the butter, shortening, sugars, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and vinegar until fairly smooth; a few tiny bits of butter may still show.
3) Beat in the egg, again beating until smooth.
4) Add the baking soda, oat bran, and flour, beating until well incorporated.
5) Add the oats (and raisins), stirring to combine.
6) Drop the dough by 2 tsp (#60 cookie scoop) balls onto the prepared baking sheets. Space the cookies 2" apart; they'll spread.
7) Bake the cookies for 11-12 minutes, reversing the pans halfway through (top rack to bottom, bottom to top). For softer cookies, bake the lesser amount of time; for crunchier, the longer amount.
8) Remove the cookies from the oven, and let them cool right on the pan.
Yield: Approx. 34 cookies.
Serving Size: 1 cookie Servings Per Batch: about 34 Amount Per Serving: Calories: 64 Total Fat: 3g Total Carbohydrate: 9g Dietary Fiber: 1g Protein: 1g