Taquitos, tacos, burritos, I love them all. Here my is first attempt and a little twist on plain ol' chicken taquitos. A bit of greek yogurt keeps them a bit more moist while they are cooking, and helps negate the need for cheese (but by all means, add some if you'd like!). I was going to call these taquitos, but as my husband pointed out, they have a bit more going on then your typical taquito. Hence, the rolled taco.
Baked Creamy Chicken, Corn, and Black Bean Rolled Tacos
(Adapted from Sweat Pea's Kitchen Corn and Black Bean Taquitos Recipe)
Makes: 18 rolled tacos
- 1 lb. fresh or frozen boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 4 Tbs. taco seasoning, divided
- 1 cup water
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup canned, fresh, or frozen corn kernals
- 1 (4 oz) can diced green chilies
- 1/2 cup fat free greek yogurt
- 1-1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp chipotle powder (optional)
- 1/2 tsp salt (more or less to taste)
- 18 (6 in.) corn tortillas
- olive oil spray or non-stick canola oil spray
- In a 4 qt. crock pot, place chicken breasts, 2 Tbs taco seasoning, and the water. Cook on high for 4 hours, or until the chicken is cooked through and shreds easily. (This can be done in a covered skillet if no crock pot is available. Simmer until chicken is easily shredded and continue with step two, but simmer just until the liquid is reduced a bit.)
- Shred chicken and let cook on high 1 more hour.
- Preheat oven 425 degrees F.
- Remove chicken with tongs, draining as much liquid as possible. Place in a medium bowl.
- Add the remaining 2 Tbs. taco seasoning, beans, corn, green chilies, yogurt, lemon juice, cumin, garlic powder, chipotle powder, and salt.
- Mix ingredients well and place in fridge to chill.
- When ready to assemble, heat the tortillas in the microwave, covering the tortillas with a damp paper towel, until heated through and pliable.
- To assemble, place 2-1/2 Tbs filling in the lower third of the tortillas. Roll and place on a baking sheet that has been sprayed with the non stick cooking spray (don't roll too tight or they will split down the side like mine did).
- When all have been assembled, spray the taquitos with the cooking spray.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and crispy. (If they still are crispy, crank it up to 450 degrees and cook for 5-10 minutes more to achieve desired doneness).
Calories: 113, Fat: 2 g, Carbs: 17g, Protein: 8 g, Fiber: 3 g
Check out the Copycat Chili's Salsa Recipe from Chef-In-Training. Perfect compliment to the rolled tacos!