Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Homemade Dark Chocolate Nutella Spread

Pin It Now!


Here is another confession--I was buying jars of nutella, and eating it straight out of the container with a spoon.  No time to pass go, or spread it on anything that has redeeming health qualities.  Nope.  Straight from the jar.  And man, when I got to the bottom, it was no joke.  I would scrape, lick, and scoop every last morsel of nutella goodness out of that jar.

Then sadness....I couldn't find it on sale, I couldn't find coupons.  I could not justify the $3.50 for a little jar that would last me not enough days.  Then one day, I saw on pinterest, "Homemade nutella."  Really?  Could it be?  Can it be possible to make it at home.  Well I am here to tell you that yes it is.  I modified the recipe I found on Seemingly Greek to develop this recipe.

Granted, it isn't quite as silky smooth, and not as sweet (if you use milk chocolate it probably would be), but it has such a wonderful, fresh hazelnut flavor, and rich chocolaty goodness, I am quite satisfied.

This is currently slated to be used to make my next endeavor....nutella oreo truffles.  Yes, you heard right.  Nutella. Oreo.  Truffles!  How could you go wrong, right??  Well, I'll let you know :)

In the mean time, here is the recipe.

Recipe:

Makes 15-16, 2 Tbs servings (about 600 grams or 23 oz total)

2 cups (240 grams) hazelnuts, toasted and peeled (I used Trader Joe's large hazelnuts)
1-1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup dutch process cocoa powder
6 oz (or however much you need to get the consistency you want) evaporated 2% milk
1 Tbs refined coconut oil, or another flavorless oil
1.65 oz Trader Joe's 72% cocoa chocolate bar (or any kind of chocolate you want), melted
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1/8 tsp salt

Directions:

  1.  Toast hazelnuts on the stove top in a dry saute pan over medium low heat until slightly browned and fragrant.  Do not burn.
  2. Peel the skins from the hazelnuts and place in food processor.
  3. Pulse with the coconut oil until it is finely ground.
  4. Add remaining ingredients, but start with only about 3 oz. of the milk.  Add more to get the desired consistency.
  5. Blend in food processor until smooth and mixed and desired thickness.
  6. Store in air tight container in the fridge.  
  7. Enjoy on toast, in graham crackers, fruit, or just by the spoonful!
I am not sure how long it lasts in the fridge with the evaporated milk in it, but if anyone knows, feel free to drop it in the comments.

1 comment:

  1. I have been wanting to try this. I am a Nutella addict! Found you on SixSisters linkup :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...