Monday, July 30, 2012

No Knead Artisan Bread

Pin It Now!
That came out of my little crummy oven, can you believe that?!  It looks just like the one on the professionals blog, I was so excited!
I know, I know.  I just posted a bread recipe.  It is true, I did.  And then I found this one.  My life has changed.  I saw this on Pinterest, but it is from a website I already knew was just incredible, called The Italian Dish.  They took this recipe from the "no knead" bread book Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day from superstar bread bakers Jeff Hertzberg and Zoe Francois.Famous bread bakers like Peter Reinhart have even gotten on the no knead bread bandwagon. 

This has revolutionized the way I will make bread.  There is no kneading at all.  Last night I literally dumped flour, yeast, water, and salt in a big bowl, stirred it up, let it sit on the counter for two hours (I started this at 10:20 pm last night, since I found it at 10:15 pm, so I actually set an alarm for 12:20 am to put it in the fridge, that is how much I wanted to try this), and then put it in the fridge over night.  This makes 4, one pound loafs, and the dough keeps in the fridge up to 2 weeks.  When you want to make bread, you pull out a pound of it, shape it, let it rise for 30 minutes, pop it in the oven for 30 minutes, and then you have the most incredible fresh bread ever.  They say the flavor gets better as it sits in the fridge too.

Look at that happy crust, and airy inside, so tasty!

The crust was incredible, I have found the recipe that gives the crust I was in search of.  I highly recommend this recipe for anyone who wants fresh bread, any day, for so much cheaper than store bought.  It requires no special skills, and is so simple.  This turned out better than bread that requires kneading, proofing, kneading, more proofing, then baking.

Try it, I implore you, you too can be an artisan bread baker!!!!

The recipe and technique is explained so well on The Italian Dish blog, that I am just going to put the link, and you can get the recipe there, it is worth the read.  I did half bread flour, and half all purpose flour, per comments I read from the writer of the blog, but by all means, go for the all purpose flour only if that is what you have, I am confident it will be fantastic!

No Knead Artisan Bread Recipe

Let me know if you try it, it just takes minutes (if that) to whip up the dough.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...