Thursday, September 13, 2012

Apple Pie Mookies

Pin It Now!

I really liked my chocolate chip banana mookie recipe.  Mookies, in case you are not familiar with my previous post, are what I dubbed this cross between a cookie and a muffin.  These are fluffy, slightly cakey cookies, with just a phenomenal hearty texture.  When I started to think about what other kinds of "mookies" I could make, I must have had apples on the brain.  Thus, apple pie mookies were born.  With oats, hearty chunks of apples, wonderful warm apple pie spices, and butterscotch chips, these just scream cozy fall day.  And considering it is 95 degrees out, I could very much use a mental escape to a more pleasant season.  The apples are softened but juicy, and a tart contrast against the sweet butterscotch chips.  Slightly chewy oats give way to a fine, cakey crumb.  Seriously, I don't know how many ways to describe the awesomeness except to say you just have to try them.

Let me just say, my house smells beyond amazing right now.  If I could eat the air I would.  But I guess I will settle for eating these cookies instead.  And at just around 100 calories each, I can afford to have a couple!  

These are absolutely a must try.  Really, seriously, in the stratosphere tasty.


APPLE PIE MOOKIES

Makes approximately 34-38 mookies

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup salted butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1 large egg
  • 1-1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1-1/4 cups all purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup almond meal (if you don't have or don't want to use, add an extra 1/4 cup flour)
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp ground allspice
  • 1/4 tsp ground ginger
  • 1-1/2 cups old fashioned oats
  • 1 cup tart apples, diced and peeled (like granny smith)
  • 6 oz (1 cup) butterscotch chips
Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
  2. Whisk together flour, almond meal, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and ginger in a small bowl and set aside.  
  3. Place butter, and sugars into a mixing bowl and beat on medium speed until they are well combined.  Depending on how soft the butter is, it may take several minutes for the mix to come together.
  4. Reduce speed to low.  Add egg, applesauce, and vanilla and mix until combined.   Beat for 1 minute on medium until well combined.
  5. Add flour and spice mix and mix on medium until well combined and fluffier.  
  6. Mix in oats, apple pieces and butterscotch chips with mixer or by hand until well incorporated. Don't fear, this dough is very moist.
  7. Using a 1 1/2-inch ice cream scoop or 2 Tbs cookie scoop, drop dough onto baking sheets spacing about 2 inches apart.  Using a fork, flatten the dough into a disk shape, they do not spread much.
  8. Bake cookies until they just start to turn golden brown and just set, about 12 to 13 minutes. The centers will be fairly firm, like a cooked muffin, when done.

18 comments:

  1. Yum! These do just scream fall. Can't wait to try them. Pinning...

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yum!!!!! Another great cookie recipe. I think I want to bake more cookies this weekend. Thanks for sharing on my link party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only problem with making cookies is that it means that need to be eaten...which I have no problem with, but my waistline does :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for joining us this week at Foodie Friends Friday. Please be sure to link the recipe to our site and return on Sunday to vote.
    Dawn a host and fellow blogger
    http://spatulasonparade.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Apple Pie Mookies look delicious, we will really enjoy them. Hope you are having a great weekend and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to eat that right now pleeeeeeeease. They look SO GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are sooooooooo worth eating right now! I highly encourage it :)

      Delete
  6. These look so good!! I can't wait to try them!!! :)
    Featuring you here: http://www.trulylovelyblog.net/2012/09/fancy-this-features-93/
    Thanks for linking up and happy Monday!!

    Kayli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the feature, I am honored! Thanks for hosting as well!

      Delete
  7. Oh wow, I love cake cookies so I can only imagine how much I would love these 'mookies'!!! Pinning!
    Thanks so much for sharing this at Mom's Test Meal Mondays!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look amazing. Gonna have to try them for a fall gathering!! Thanks for linking up to Tasty Thursdays on The Mandatory Mooch. I hope you link up again this week. The party will be live tonight. www.mandatorymooch.blogspot.com

    Don't forget to "like" my Facebook page if you haven't already. www.facebook.com/TheMandatoryMooch

    Thanks, Nichi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting! I have definitely "liked" your facebook page as well :)

      Delete
  9. Awwww thanks so much for the feature, that is so fantastic! love your parties, thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great cookie recipe. My mom would love these, as would I. Thank you so much for sharing with Wednesdays Adorned From Above Link Party last week. This weeks Link Party is opened at
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/09/how-to-make-natural-tinted-lip-balm-and.html
    from Wednesday until Sunday.
    Hope to see you there.
    Debi Bolocofsky
    Adorned From Above
    www.adornedfromabove.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...