Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Microwave Sweet Potato Chips

Pin It Now!

My favorite way to eat a sweet potato is just baked, with a little butter, and a sprinkle of salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.  My son likes it that way too, he calls it "pie." (Hey, who am I to correct that one, hehehe).  He really loves sweet potato chips too.  Unfortunately, even with sweet potatoes, those chips don't seem too much better for you and are usually expensive, so we don't get them.  A few weeks ago I saw a recipe for microwave potato chips on yahoo, well, actually my husband did, and he sent the article to me.  I thought it was interesting, so I tried it right then and there, but we didn't have white potatoes, so I tried it with our sweet potatoes.  They took a bit longer to cook, but my son and my husband liked them so much that I had nothing left to shoot for a post picture.  Oh well.  Today however, my husband is at school, kids are up for naps, and I was actually able to make some and get a picture before they were devoured.

I seasoned these with salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.  Slightly reminiscent of my baked sweet potato I dearly love, but not over whelming.  I have also done just salt, as well as Lawry's Seasoning Salt.  All of them were delicious, so season with whatever you like.  The nutmeg and cinnamon scream fall though, and I so desperately want it to be fall.

I haven't perfected these, but it is because I don't have a mandolin, I am too lazy to pull out my food processor, and my knife skills leave something to be desired.  If you have one of the first two items, I highly recommend using them if you plan to make a bunch, it will be easier, and they will come out more uniformly.  Otherwise, cut them as thin as possible.  The thinner they are, the quicker they cook, the crunchier they will be.

**Microwave times will vary, depending on the strength of your microwave and how thick they are cut, so keep that in mind, try for the lesser time, and add 30 second increments.  The ingredient amounts are based on how many you want to make, so use what you need, and season to your liking.

MICROWAVE SWEET POTATO CHIPS

Ingredients:
  • sweet potatoes, washed and scrubbed, skin on
  • ground cinnamon
  • salt
  • nutmeg
  • olive oil cooking spray
Directions:
  1. Slice the washed sweet potatoes using a mandolin, food processor slicing attachment, or a sharp knife.  Cut as thinly as possible, 1-2 mm thick.
  2. Place slices in a bowl of cool water for 5 minutes.
  3. Remove slices and dry well with a paper towel.
  4. Spray a microwave safe plate with the cooking spray and place a single layer of sweet potato slices on the plate.  
  5. Spray the slices with the olive oil cooking spray lightly and sprinkle with cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
  6. Place in microwave for 2-4 minutes, depending on the thickness of your slices and the strength of your microwave.  Mine took about 3 min and 30 seconds, but my microwave sucks and I cut them with a knife, so they were kind of thick.
  7. They will curl around the edges and feel fairly dry when done.  The one in the center will probably start to brown, be careful not to over cook, they do actually burn (found out the hard way).
  8. The sweet potatoes will continue to get a bit more crispy as they cool, so take that in to consideration.  Repeat with remaining slices until the desired amount is reached.

26 comments:

  1. This looks great! I've made other types of chips/crisps before (in the regular oven)...never imagined they could get crispy in the microwave! I can't wait to try it! :)

    I found you through Thursday's Treasures. Love your blog. Here's mine if you'd like to check it out:

    http://www.annemariecain.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I looked at your site, it is wonderful. My brother can't eat gluten so I will be sharing it with him for sure. I would love for you to share your peanut bread at my link party as well as any other links you would like at http://mommyssweetconfessions.blogspot.com/2012/09/sweet-confessions-sunday-link-party-5.html

      Delete
  2. These look amazing! I love sweet potato chips but they're so expensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree!! Seems like everything better for you is expensive, it sucks.

      Delete
  3. Very cool and SO easy! My name is Cindy and I blog over at Vegetarianmamma.com I wanted to invite you to link up your recipe at our Gluten Free Fridays Recipe Link up party! It happens every Friday and we'd love to have you join us with some of your awesome recipes! You can find this week's link up here: http://vegetarianmamma.com/glutenfree-fridays-recipe-party-4/ It doesn't mean that you have to be a gluten free bloggers. If you have some recipes on your blog that are gluten free that counts! :) Many recipes are naturally gluten free.
    Cindy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the invite, see you there!

      Delete
  4. Hi Lindsay,
    These look like awesome chips that I would just love! Hope you are having a great weekend and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Saw these on the Share it Saturday hop and headed right over here. I LOVE sweet potato fries and chips and you just can't argue with quick and easy. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you could make it over! Nice to see you!

      Delete
  6. OMGosh! I just made these last week! lol http://earning-my-cape.blogspot.com/2012/08/microwave-sweet-potato-chips.html
    I didn't use cinnamon or nutmeg, though. I love that idea, and will definitely do it next time! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! That is too funny! Great minds think alike!

      Delete
  7. They look beautiful! I can't wait to try them. I have both kinds of potatoes so I think I will try a mixture. Thanks for sharing at Mom's Library!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great treat!! Thanks so much for linking up to Tasty Thursdays on The Mandatory Mooch!! I hope you will link up again. The party will be live tonight. http://www.mandatorymooch.blogspot.com

    Thanks, Nichi

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a great recipe. I love sweet potatoes in all ways. I can't wait to try these. Thank you so much for sharing with Wednesdays Adorned From Above Link Party last week. This weeks Link Party is opened at
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/09/reeses-smore-brownies-and-wednesdays.html
    from Wednesday until Sunday.
    Hope to see you there.
    Debi Bolocofsky
    Adorned From Above
    www.adornedfromabove.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely see you there, thanks for coming over!

      Delete
  10. Love this idea!
    Thanks for linking up to Friday Fascinations! You have been featured, come over and get a button! http://domesticrandomness.blogspot.com/2012/09/friday-fascinations-4-and-5-feature.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so much for stopping by and visiting, I will definintely stop by!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much for the feature, very exciting!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. micro wave computers industrial training institute provide training for the computer background students..
    microwavecomputer

    ReplyDelete
  14. micro wave thank you so much for the feature
    http://www.microwavecomputers.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this idea!
    Thanks for linking up to Friday Fascinations!
    http://www.microwavecomputers.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a great recipe. I love sweet potatoes in all ways.
    http://www.microwavecomputers.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. recipe of any dishes best sweet testy
    http://www.microwavecomputers.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a great recipe. I love sweet potatoes in all ways. I can't wait to try these. Thank you so much for sharing with Wednesdays Adorned From Above Link Party last week
    microwave computer

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...