My son's 1st birthday party is next week so I am starting to work on desserts for the party. Coincidentally, the party is a dessert-only party. Thought I would make it easier on myself since I went all out on my 3 year old's birthday party last month (see pictures here). I saw a recipe for no-bake nutella cheesecakes from My Baking Addiction and really wanted to make those, which I still might, but then I thought, how good would a lighter version of that cheesecake filling be as a frosting for chocolate cake? Well let me tell you: Really good! The frosting takes like 5 minutes to make, I will definitely be using it again. Combine that with a boxed devil's food cake mix and some oreo cookie crumbs, and this is one classy dessert with no effort at all!
For me this made 70 mini cupcakes, but depending on how much frosting you use, it may need to be doubled. I used mini cupcake liners from Wilton that I found at target.
MINI CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES WITH NUTELLA CHEESECAKE FROSTING
(Adapted from My Baking Addiction)
- 1 box devil's food cake mix, prepared as instructed on box
- 3/4 cup nutella spread
- 1 (8 oz.) block cream cheese
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 16 oz cool whip, thawed
- 5-6 oreo cookies with the cream center removed
- Using the prepared cake batter, fill mini muffin tin cups 3/4 full. Bake at 325 degrees F for about 12-14 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- For the frosting, in a medium bowl mix cream cheese, nutella and vanilla until well combined and smooth, using either a spatula or hand mixer.
- Add the cool whip and fold in until there are no streaks remaining.
- I used a piping bag to add the frosting to the cupcakes, but a ziploc bag with the corner cut will work great too.
- Crush the oreo cookies and sprinkle over frosting.
- Store in refrigerator until ready to eat.