Sweet, salty, chewy, crunchy, chocolatey, savory, butterscotchy, and just plain addictive. That is how I will describe what is probably my most favorite version of chocolate chip cookies. I know you may think that adding pretzels to chocolate chip cookies may seem way too weird to try, but think about it for a second--salted caramel is all the rage right now, think of it like that. The pretzels add a pleasant burst of saltiness and a suprising little crunch every so often. It is heavenly. Try them. Try them please! They will change your thoughts on chocolate chip cookies forever.
These are dangerous to have in my house, I love them so much. The freeze beautifully, so I am putting my batch in the freezer to 1) slow down my consumption (out of sight out of mind) and 2) keep them fresh for a long time.
IF YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE, PLEASE DON'T FORGET TO PIN IT :)
CHOCOLATE CHIP BUTTERSCOTCH PRETZEL COOKIES
Makes between 40-46 cookies
- 2 sticks of butter (1 cup), softened
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tbs. vanilla extract
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 6 oz. semi sweet chocolate chips
- 6 oz. butterscotch chips
- 1.5 oz mini pretzels or thin pretzel sticks, broken into bite sized pieces
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl combine brown sugar, granulated sugar, and butter and cream together with a hand mixer until well combined.
- Add eggs and vanilla and mix thoroughly.
- Add flour, salt, and baking soda and mix well.
- Pour in chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, and pretzel pieces and combine by hand or with mixer.
- Using a #40 cookie scoop (1 1/2 Tbs.), drop onto prepared pan, about 12 cookies, 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes until they start to brown on the edges. They will still look a bit light in the center, but will darken and firm up when they cool.